Three years ago I planted a yellow tiger lily at the corner of my front yard. I think it is supposed to look like the one pictured on the right.
I may never know.
The first year the plant grew but did not bloom.
The second year, last year the plant grew, began to bloom and just as it was about to flower a deer came along and ate it.
This year, last night one of the blooms began to open and today as the bloomfest continued, a teenage girl walked by this afternoon, stopped in front of the flower, seemingly to take in the beauty and wonder of the flowers, when she shiftly and quickly looked from side to side and behind her, snatched the bloom off the stem destroying both flowers in the process and resumed walking down the street.
I could not breathe.
I happened to be looking out of the window in my office when the dirty deed was done and called out to her asking "Why would you do that"? I ran downstairs and outside to confront her. Clearly startled that I was taking pursuit she ran down the street. I followed, walking for a block. When I got to the corner and saw she was no longer in sight, I turned and started walking back home ever so slowly knowing she would come out of hiding when she thought the coast was clear. She did not disappoint. I stopped part way turning around to see her come out of her hiding place. Startled again, this time she intended to lose me. She did.
As I walked back home there lying on the sidewalk was the trail of bright yellow petals, the evidence dropped in the heat of the chase.
I may have to move that flower.

2 comments:
Oh, dear. NO ONE got to enjoy that beautiful flower.
Sometimes it's better to share beauty than to fight to keep it yourself.
Awww, I am sorry to hear someone took your flower. It seems like the flower is not yours to behold. Maybe one of your "buds" will bring you a Yellow Tiger Lily
Post a Comment