
I read an article in the news this morning about giftwrapping your holiday baked goods. The idea being that you can dress up the gift with creative and festive packaging for mere pennies. I find it interesting, smug and disconnected that in these uncertain times the best this author could come up with was purchasing items for the presentation of the gift that in the end would cost more than the baked good it was adorning.
Three creative, resourceful and recyclable ideas from me:
1. Save the holiday cards you receive with artwork you really like, and use them to create gift tags for next year. Just cut to the size you need, punch a hole and tie a ribbon. Of course I am excluding the photo holiday cards.
2. This one is fun for the younger children. Save the card board from the toilet paper/paper towel rolls, paint, when dry cut out shapes from the wrapping paper scraps, glue to the painted roll, cut out 2 circles from wax paper or parchment paper large enough to cover each of the 2 ends of the roll with a little extra to hang over, secure with a ribbon, string, twine or rubberband. Fill with small wrapped baked treats or candies.
3. For future arts and crafts projects - start a "Craft Box" in which you save all types of small odds/ends that can be recycled for use in art projects.**
** Buttons, ribbons, 35 millimeter film cases, fabric swatches, yarn, empty spice containers, popsicle sticks, marketing materials from organziations that send you donor requests in the mail and include a trinket gift or stickers, empty paper clip boxes - you get the idea...
I save the ribbons from any gifts I receive in a shoe box and reuse them at another gifting event.
Would love to hear about your creative, inexpensive and recyclable ideas for holiday gift giving!
No comments:
Post a Comment