GlassRoots -10 Bleeker Street, Newark

A Really Unique NonProfit Organization

GlassRoots, Inc. is the only glass hotshop for youth in the Metropolitan NY/NJ area.

Check out this one of a kind, unique and successful nonprofit organization that is making a real difference in the lives of many at risk teens at
http://www.glassroots.org/

Pictured above is a GlassRoots student, Yeah the one with the kid and the blow torch!


Thursday, December 24, 2009

MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HOLIDAYS





Thank You to all who have stood by my side and propped me up when I didn't think I could stand any longer.  This has been a most unique and challenging experience for me.  I am fortunate to have friends.

My family and I are forever grateful.

Challenging yes, but my situation is not nearly as devasting as some of the amazing people I have met on this journey.  Sadly I have met and continue to meet people without a safety net of friends or family.  People sleeping in their cars having been displaced from their homes, waiting in soup lines hoping there will be enough left for them when they get to the beginning of the line, compromising their children's safety and well being by leaving them with strangers who promise to care for them, and the stories go on.

I was toying with the idea of skipping Christmas this year (no not like that horrible movie "Christmas with the Kranks"), but I had thought it would be nice to go to sleep on Christmas Eve and wake up the day after New Years Day.

This year with all the blows that I have taken, I am riding on the wings of a new sense of peace. I am reminded of how to do much more with much less and feel good about it. In the past few months I am happy to have shared laughter out loud at some very funny things, which belong under "You Can't Make this Stuff Up". I am hoping to write about some of them in this blog soon.

To the vendors that I regularly do business with, thanks for your patience.

A Special Thanks to those of you who have filters, recognize my strengths and limitations and just seem to know when it's ok to talk about the elephant in the room. And to my daughter who after watching me NOT do anything for the holidays, began to decorate the house and then purchased a Christmas tree, "I Love You".
Shame on me for being so selfish.  This is my daughter's holiday too and we are going to celebrate it.


Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells............................

I saved this quote from an article I read several months ago; I like it:

" A true friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg even though he/she knows that you are slightly cracked".


Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or whatever you are celebrating !!!

3 comments:

Krys Hall said...

The holidays can be depressing. I am alone on Christmas but not depressed about it. Fortunately I have a wonderful family and a wonderful group of friends. Since losing the dearest person in my life 2 years ago I have had to learn to cope with being alone. No significant other or children, life can be difficult alone but I forge ahead on my own.
Merry Christmas to you too.
Krys

Amanda said...

Yes, friends and family definitely make the difference. I also refuse to give in to the familiar and somewhat easy invitations that depression can oftem use to intrude upon these holidays. These past few years we have been reinventing the festivities, thinking out of the box and coming up with ways to celebrate that are different from what we are accustomed to, finding the time to do things that are easy, stress free and fun.

Have the very best day!

Felicia said...

I think your friends always knew what you are discovering...you are made of strong stuff! Hang in there and remember to "PUSH"...Pray Until Something Happens!

I will stay in touch...call if you need anything!

Felicia